Surf Maroc Yoga Retreats
Pristine villa offering all-inclusive surf and yoga retreats in a beach front location with swimming pool and an ocean view yoga studio
LowPressure Stormrider Surf Guide says
Despite its North African location, Morocco is very much a part of the European surf trail. Located between 20° and 35° latitude with a NW facing coastline, Morocco has all the key elements for an outstanding surf destination. The Tarhazoute area in the south nestles behind a big cape, which funnels the predominant north winds into an offshore direction. The spots are all easily accessible by road with the waves generally breaking right over flat rock and sand. With balmy winter land temperatures, cheap living and a fascinating cultural diversity, Morocco is a must for the European surf traveller.
Taghazout has enjoyed legendary status for decades, as a place to escape the winter blues and surf the great pointbreaks clustered around the famous Anchor Point. Known as 'Madraba' in Arabic and called 'Ikhflout' in the local Berber tongue, Anchors (or Ankas) has the ability to hold huge size and break down the perfectly angled headland for over a kilometre. The warm, green walls are powerful yet accessible to intermediates and provide a relatively safe environment for less accomplished surfers to improve their pointbreak skills, at least when it is small. Just to the north, past the reefs of Mysteries and La Source is another great, righthand pointbreak called Killers. It is this concentration of quality that has attracted surfers to this mellow fishing town, which is now showing the signs of development and ever increasing numbers of surfers and surf camps. There are more waves in town like Hash Point and Panoramas, then miles of beginner beachbreak running south to Banana Village at Tamrhakht. A few reefs, including a rare left, complete the picture towards Agadir, where there are more local surfers. Winter is the only time to go because the bigger swells are needed to get into the series of headland protected bays that make this area so good. Anchor Point often sleeps from April to October, although Killers will break on much smaller swells. The N/NE winds get bent and funnelled offshore by the coastal ranges, but in summer there are more NW onshore winds to contend with.
Find more general info about when to go and statistics on the Low Pressure’s Stormrider Guide website.
Condition descriptions provided by the operator
Internationally renowned amongst travellers and surfers for its laid back pace, easygoing atmosphere and world class waves, Taghazout is a unique gem on Morocco’s Atlantic coast. Conveniently located 40 min from Agadir international airport it’s a short hop (2-3 hrs) from most central European cities. It’s the closest place for any European surfer to get year round warm water, perfect waves and a unique cultural experience.
Taghazout has been on the hippy trail since the 60s and surfers have been riding the waves that peel down its legendary points ever since. It’s a Moroccan village like no other where local Berber life and surfing culture have combined to make a bustling, fun and charming place to kick back and relax.
The West Coast of Morocco is a dream surfing destination.
With a non-stop source of Atlantic swell - and a constantly changing shoreline of exposed and sheltered points, reefs and beach breaks - you're never far from the wave that's right for you.
Whether you're looking for reeling ten foot points, endless mellow six foot walls or the perfect wave to learn on, Morocco has it all. Add in some near perfect weather conditions (Over 300 days of sunshine a year, an average temperature Nov-Feb of 21C, Mar-Oct 26C, water temperature 18-24C) and you've got a recipe for the ideal surf trip.
General surf conditions
Morocco as year round amazing surf. The summer months (April - October) see small to meduim swells with surfing mostly taking place on the beaches and reefs on the more exposed north west coast, this is great time for anyone looking for fun, uncrowded warm water surf. During the winter months the waves that have made Morocco famous come to life. The variety of surf in this area of Morocco is huge. There are not many places like it. The region has something for everyone, from ideal beginner waves to challenging reef ledges. Intermediates and those new to the sport should not be put off or worried. Due to the nature of the coastline there is almost always somewhere sheltered and manageable, and those looking for something challanging wont be dissapointed.
Taghazout - all these spots ar within walking distance:
- Killers – Epic sand and rock right point break. A regional standout bowly peak, big barrels, long racy walls, more barrel sections. Long, long rides possible.
- La Source – Sand and Rock bottom reef. Fun right and left peak offering up punchy maneuver friendly waves.
- Mysteries – Great right hand reef. Lots of different moods. Barreling or whackable – it all depends on the sand build up on the reef.
- Anchors – The spot that has put Morocco on the map. Sand and rock bottom right point. Capable of producing phenomenally long rides. This powerful wave has every sort of section imaginable. Swell rarely gets too big for this spot. Check it from your bedroom each morning.
- Super Wedge– Sand and Rock bottom wedge breaking right outside the villa. Super fun right. Ride one far in and your first step will be on our stairs leading up to the villa.
- Hash Point – Sand and rock bottom right hand point. Punchy Wave – nice and predictable. Great for practicing maneuvers. Take off spot right in front of the villa.
- Panoramas – Sand bottom right hander, perfect beginner/Intermediate wave. Long mellow rides, finishing on a long sandy beach.
- Boilers – Rock bottom point. Fast down the line wave racing close to the rocks. Barrels and long rides possible.
- Secret Spot – Our favorite secret spot
- Tamri – Our swell magnet. Always a wave. Great fun beachbreak. Lots of different peaks.
- Imessouane – Long, long, Long rolling right hand point break. Shorter more intensive right hander on the other side of the bay.
- Devils Rock – Punchy Beach Break. Great fun for all abilities.
- Banana Point – Sand bottom right point. Great fun for all abilities.