Experience skiers’ and snowboarders’ paradise on earth, high in the Himalayas of Kashmir!
Billa Majeed Bakshi – Director & Lead Guide
Billa was born in Gulmarg and he is skiing since he was four years old. He started guiding in Himalayas in 1996 when there was no gondola or ski lift in Gulmarg . He is the first qualified ski guide in India and was the first guide to introduce free riding in Gulmarg. He invited lots of free riders like K2 pro riders Andy Maher, Pep Fujas, Warren Miller, Solomon TV France, Match stick production and many more ski bums to promote Gulmarg. He started a charity program with New Zealand K2 ski distributor Martin Jones in 2005 in Gulmarg and trained hundreds of locals , who are now working as guides and ski instructors with many tour operators in Gulmarg. Billa provides thousands of ski equipment to locals and he trained them as ski guides and instructors and as now the whole community of Gulmarg is involved in the ski Industry.
Billa went to New Zealand to study snow science in Otago Polytechnic College and in 2010 Billa started the Kashmir Heliski-Operation in Gulmarg. As you can imagine this gave Gulmarg ski resort a completely new dimension including rescue facilities and access to the entire range of Pir Panjal Mountains of Himalayas.
Tim O’Leary – Chief Guide
- NZMGA full certified ski guide
- NZ avalanche full certified professional
- 17 years of experience in heli-skiing / heli-guiding in New Zealand. Owner and operator of Alpine Heliski Ltd. based in Queenstown New Zealand.
Mark Sedon – Lead Guide
- IFMGA certified mountain & ski guide.
- 12 years of experience in the Himalayas (Summited Mt. Everest)
- 5 expeditions to Antarctica including 2 ski expeditions
- He works for Adventure Consultants Ltd. all over the world like in New Zealand, Europe and the USA
- He also operates for Harris Mountains Heli Ski in Queenstown, New Zealand and Kashmir Heli Ski in Gulmarg, India
Jef Desbecker – Lead Guide
- NZMGA full certified ski guide
- New Zealand avalanche full certified professional
- 16 years heliski guiding in New Zealand
- 3 years chief guide at Harris Mountains Heliski in Queenstown, New Zealand
- Backcountry ski guide since 1982 – USA, NZ, Europe, Japan, Canada
- NZSIA Telemark ski instructor and examiner
- Major ski touring expeditions Yukon, USA, Pakistan
- Trainer and mentor for NZMGA ski guides and New Zealand avalanche professionals
Takuya “Tak” Tsukada – Snowboard Guide
TAK is our snowboard guide for Kashmir Heliski from Japan. He runs his own agency in Japan.
- He has been in the winter industry over 25 years
- Full Certified snowboard instructor in the USA
- Canadian association of snowboard instructors
- CASI Level 1
- Japan ski & snowboard certified instructor
- JAN Avalanche control level 1
- Started with the heli ski & snowboard operation in 1993 at Honshu, Japan
- He recently expanded his area to Hokkaido too
Mir Mushtoq – Lead Guide
Mir is guiding here in our Pir Panjal Range for the last 10 years. He’s one of our very experienced local ski guides. He won a couple of national free ride skiing competitions. Mir loves back country skiing and of course heli-guiding. He’s been a heli-guide with Kashmir Heliski since the beginning and was working for us with Gulmarg Powder Guides before.
Mushtaq Magray (Musha) – Lead Guide
Musha is a local of Gulmarg. He studied Bachelors of Arts at the Kashmir University. Skiing has ever been his passion. Musha won many international free ride events in Gulmarg. He is skiing in Gulmarg for the last 16 years. In 2004 he joined Gulmarg Powder Guides company which is directed by Billa Bakshi like Kashmir Heliski.
Showkat (Ali) – Lead Guide
Ali joined Gulmarg Powder Guides in 2006 and is working as a heli guide for Kashmir Heliski since 2010. He’s also a local and has more than 15 years of skiing experience here in the Pir Panjal Range of the Himalayas. He is the favourite guide of our backcountry clients. He knows those mountains like the back of one’s hand.
Mushtaq Rather (Mithun) – Lead Guide
Nicknamed after an old Bollywood star he is skiing in Gulmarg since 1995. Mithun is also a local guy and one of our best backcountry guides as well as heli-guides.
Tariq Bakshi – Lead Guide
He’s the youngest of our Guides but not any less experienced. Tariq is 24 years old and is skiing and living in Gulmarg since the age of 8.
Muzafar is working with Kashmir Heliski for the last 3 years. He is a ski instructor as well as a ski-guide. Senior clients prefer Muzafar for back country guiding as he is a very “easy peasy and shanti” guide.
Gullu – Lead Guide
He is the funniest cellphone making noise person in this world. He’s one on of our client´s favourite backcountry skiing guide. Gullu loves the mountains just like the favourite Kashmir silk producing Himalyan mountain goat. 2009 he became an officially registered ski-guide with J&K Tourism Department. Of course, Gullu is skiing since he was little. He organizes trekking and climbing treks in the summer throughout entire Kashmir. If you are interested in summer activities in Kashmir, GULLU is YOUR man.