Indonesia: Mentawai Islands
Charter the wondrous islands and multitudes of surf breaks in the beautiful Mentawais aboard one of the most unique boats to the area.
What is included / What not
Our Package Includes:
- Pickup and return from Minangkabau International Airport in Padang, Sumatra.
- Transfers: Airport/ (Hotel) / Boat/ (Hotel) / Airport (it takes about 40 min from the airport to the Boat harbour)
- 12 nights charter
- Air-conditioned cabins with private bathrooms featuring showers with hot water
- Use of all entertainment equipment on the boat (TV, speakers, DVD, books, games)
- Top grade breakfast, lunch and dinner, and any snacks and fruits at anytime
- Fresh Towels
- Water, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, juices, soft drinks and bintangs (no limit)
- Use of all onboard equipment such as tender/dinghy, snorkelling, fishing gear, spearfishing gun, safety equipment, SUPs and Kayaks
- Surf guide, skipper and crew onboard always ready to help
Our Package Does not include:
- Any Flight Tickets
- Mentawai Tax - around USD 70 cash, to be paid directly to government agents who will collect it before departure and provide a receipt (the Mentawai Government may change this retribution fee at any time with no prior notice). Or you can send it together with the booking payment.
- Professional Photography and Videography packages
- Wine and spirits are available at an additional cost upon request at the time you pay
- for your trip. You are also welcome to bring your own
- Jetski Use. Rates: $200/h or $500 a day (1 tank) or $2500 for the full trip with 5 tanks
Our ground staff will be waiting for you at Padang’s airport, Sumatra. The passengers will be taken to either a hotel, restaurant or surf shop until the boat gets ready to leave, usually after sunset. The board bags and big suitcases are taken straight to the boat, as part of the preparation for the crossing to Mentawai.
The crossing takes 10 to 14 hours over the mentawai straight. From then on, you spend 11 days chasing some of the best waves on the planet. Lefts, rights, mushy, hollow, long, short, a true playground for all levels of surfers, from beginners to professionals. You will be surfing waves like Macaronis, Hollow Trees, E-Bay, Rifles, Hideaways, No Kandui, Nipussi, Greenbush, Thunders, among many other perfect spots in the islands. There are more than a hundred spots, a couple for almost any possible condition of swell, wind and tide. They are spread out in 4 main surf zones. The surf guide will present the best options for the given conditions in that zone and the group can decide where to surf.
We usually sleep in calm, protected anchorages. Early in the morning the boat is already in front of a spot according to the forecast. You can hop on our dinghy and be dropped close to the take off spot only moments after getting out of bed if you wish. The water is transparent and warm, definitely bring your snorkel.
The breakfast buffet includes fruits, cereal, granola, milk, juice, coffee, bread, butter, cheese, jam, Nutella and honey. At mid-morning you can also order pancakes and omelettes or eggs as you want cooked. You are welcome to help yourself all day for snacks and cold drinks, including the famous Bintang - Indonesia’s favourite beer.
Meals are fit for a king and it ranges from different types of fish, shrimp, squid, chicken or beef to vegetarian delicious recipes.
Traditional Brazilian and Indo food pushing to healthy recipes. During and after dinner we all seat comfortably in the lounge and watch the pictures and footage from the day, this is one of the best things about being aboard Maki! Guaranteed laughs and good vibes, topped with a chance for auto-criticism and insights for improvement.
Come enjoy the Mentawai Islands with us and live the ultimate surf retreat aboard the newest and flashiest vessel operated by seasoned guides and crew - you’ll be taking home memories for a lifetime!