Togat Nusa Retreat
Indonesia: Mentawai Islands
Quality and service comes first in this private tropical island sanctuary positioned in the central Mentawai islands
Life at the retreat
What is the experience like at Togat Nusa Retreat? For most people it consists of four things, surfing, eating, yoga, and sleeping! (18 Questions)
This section answers a multitude of questions we hear from our guests about "Life at the Retreat".
1. What are the waves like near Togat Nusa Retreat? The Mentawai Islands are blessed with some of the most consistent, user friendly surf in the world. For an in-depth look at a few of the waves you will surf on your nexttrip to Togat Nusa Retreat please visit our Condition section.
2. Where will we be surfing? We've covered a few of the more common spots, what they're like, distance from the resort.
3. Any tips on proper surfing etiquette? Proper surf etiquette is crucial anywhere in the world. In the Mentawai Islands it's even more important.
4. Is there a general code of conduct I should follow during my stay? We work hard to give you the best experience possible. There really isn't a strict code of conduct at the resort, but in the next column and starting below are a few helpful tips for adjusting to life in paradise. The following list offers a quick glance at the do's and don'ts of resort living in the Mentawais.
• Feel free to ask our staff any questions at anytime or for anything you need.
• If you're hungry tell someone.
• Please smoke in designated areas only – outside only.
• Do your best to keep wet clothes outside.
• Point out problems or potential problems to the staff.
• No drugs allowed.
• Keep your belongings in designated areas.
• Always use proper surf etiquette.
• Conserve as much water as possible – please take short showers.
• Always look out for other people.
• Put trash where it belongs.
• Housecleaning is everyday between 10:00am and 2:00pm, unless you request otherwise.
• There is a laundry service, please put dirty clothes in the provided hamper.
• When you arrive we will give you one big bottle of water, please refill in the restaurant as much as you'd like. Guests will be charged for extra water bottles.
• Please watch out for falling coconuts!
• Please use sunscreen, nothing can ruin your vacation more than a sunburn.
• Please share waves with the guests from the charter boats.
• We suggest covering up in evenings, long pants and long sleeves and taking malaria preventative medicine if available.
• Guests are welcome to tip their favorite staff member, or you can give to the office to be distributed evenly among all employees.
5. Can I make a phone calls at the retreat? The retreat currently uses a variety of ways to stay in touch with the outside world. Most guests prefer to bring their own computers with their own Skype accounts and talk online.
6. What are the boats we use for transport and surfing? Our ultimate goal is to provide our guests the most authentic Mentawai experience possible and our core mode of transportation achieves this. We have resisted the temptation to bring in "western style" speedboats and have instead opted to custom configure local canoes, a tender, and a waverunner to shuttle people around the resort for whatever activity they are enjoying.
Food allergies and special dietary requirements are not a problem, but should be specified before your arrival to ensure we are prepared. Please also inform us of any birthdays or special events during your stay so that we can cater accordingly.
There is a set schedule for meals so you don't have to wonder what time you eat.
Extra sodas, juices, beer hard alcohol, and mixed drinks are available for a nominal fee.
9. What time are meals served? For early-birds, there is cereal, fruit salad, and toasts available in the restaurant.
Breakfast - 7:30am - 10:30am - Please order with the bartender.
Lunch - 12:30pm - 2:30pm
Dinner - 7:30pm - 8:30 pm
10. What types of alcoholic beverages are available? Beer is available for all of our guests, a variety of hard alcohol and mixed drinks will also be available for purchase.
11. Can I be contacted while I'm at the retreat? The retreat currently uses a variety of ways to stay in touch with the outside world. Most guests prefer to bring their own computers with their own Skype accounts and talk online.
12. Can I check my e-mails while at the retreat?
Wireless Internet is available in the Bar/restaurant area for guests to email, skype and check surf reports. The price is RP. 700,000 for unlimited access, for those with their own computer, otherwise RP. 50,000/half hr, to use the house computer.
We encourage most people to use their personal laptops in their bungalows if you'd like to get online. If you don't want to bring along a laptop there are a few computers at the retreat available to check surf reports, send e-mails, and make phone calls.
13. What other types of activities are available on the island ? The landscape and activities available in our area are extraordinary and varied. There are things to keep you totally busy or you can practice the fine art of doing nothing at all. Here is a short list of our most popular activities:
- Visit a Local Village
- Yoga Classes
- Jungle Cruise
14. Can I bring my own dvds? Of course.
15. How much should I tip the staff when my trip finishes? This is entirely up to you. The average tip is about 5% of the total trip cost - if you've had a great time, the staff did a wonderful job and were accommodating, let them know how you feel.
16. Can I celebrate a special occasion at the resort? Hopefully with enough advanced notice we can accommodate any and all requests.
17. What is your policy on illegal substances? Our operation is drug free. Indonesia has some of the strictest laws against drug use, drug trafficking, drug anything! Togat Nusa Retreat does not condone drug use in any form at our resort - guests who are found to be using drugs at the resort will be asked to leave immdeiately. It's just not worth the hassle and trouble! Our policy is simple - no drugs allowed... please.
18. Do you have hairdryers? No, our electricity is 240 volts and not conducive to almsot any hairdryer model.
19. What happens when the trip ends? Lamentably, when your trip ends you take a boat back to Padang via the Ambu Ambu ferry or by chartered speedboat.